Sunday, October 17, 2010

GLBT in the Media

I have plenty of gay friends, and it always breaks my heart anytime anyone puts them down in any way, shape, or form. I think I've said it many times in this blog already but they are just people, they just live differently than I do. I know that everyone has their reasons for believing in the way that they do but I truly don't see the harm in someone being gay.

This time last year, I was visiting a few friends in Uptown Dallas. Uptown is an area of Dallas with a large gay population. While at a friends apartment, the two of us went downstairs to let in our friend, who is gay. While walked to the door, we walked upon a young man (who seemed to be drunk), staring out the door at our friend and saying derogatory things like "No fags allowed," etc. We walked past him and let our friend in and the three of us kept walking, trying to ignore what was said. He couldn't ignore the guy anymore and immediately started to defend himself as we pulled him into the elevator with us to avoid any more confrontation. After that happened, I remember being absolutely livid that there are such close minded people in the world that would say such hurtful things to someone they had never met before, just because of their sexual orientation.

In class we discussed an organization that call themselves Christians, who boycott soldier funerals (soldiers who are not gay) because of the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy. In my opinion, I'm not sure how these people can call themselves Christians. I think they are just a group of people who want attention and need to attack others in order to get it.

Onto the documentary, I mentioned last week that not very much can shock me but I must say I was shocked by a few of the scenes that were shown, that were apparently shown on television...but I wasn't so much shocked by the fact that they were between gays or lesbians...I would have been shocked if it were a man and a woman in the scenes.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment