Monday, November 15, 2010

Spike Lee

I went into seeing Spike Lee speak last Thursday not knowing what to expect. I knew that seeing him speak was an opportunity I would probably never get again so I was definitely excited.

I think everything he spoke of regarding education was really inspiring. It's taken me a long time to really figure out what I want to do with my life so I can definitely relate by saying that journalism kind of found me. I have always been writing so when I found something that I could do with the rest of my life that involved writing and photography, I felt incredibly grateful. I remember him mentioning that sometimes parents can be the biggest killers of dreams and I can see that as being true. Our parents just want the best for us in most cases so I understand them wanting us to find jobs and professions that will make us money and take care of us for the rest of our lives but I think doing something you love is much more important. It was really reassuring hearing him say things like that.

I won't deny that later in his speaking I felt like he was talking more to the African American crowd in the audience and no so much the white crowd, but either way, I think everything he said could in some ways be beneficial to everyone listening.

I really expected the Q&A to be a little more "heated" than it actually was. I was expecting people to ask probing questions and not the same "What should I do am an aspiring director" question. However I did really think it was neat how when someone would ask him to sign something, he graciously got up and did it instead of telling them no and sending them back to their seats.

All and all, I'm really glad that I attended and I think I got a lot out of the entire event!

No comments:

Post a Comment